By Robert Kourik, 225 pages
Understanding Roots uncovers one of the greatest mysteries underground: the secret lives of the roots of plants that move and grow invisibly beneath our feet. Roots do more than just keep a plant from falling over; they gather water and nutrients, exude wondrous elixirs to create good soil, make friends with microbes and fungi, communicate with other roots, and adapt themselves to all manner of soils, winds, and climates - nourishing and sustaining our gardens, lawns, and woodlands.
- Describes how roots work their magic to improve soil nutrients
- Investigates the hidden life of soil microbes and their mysterious relationship to roots
- Contains over 115 enchanting and revealing - yet realistic - drawings
- Explores the question of whether deep roots really gather more unique nutrients than shallow roots
- Provides a detailed review of all aspects of transplanting
- Shares the latest research about the mysteries of mycorrhizal (good fungal) association
- Shows you exactly where to put your fertilizer, compost, water, and mulch to help plants flourish
- Explains why gray water increases crop yields more than fresh water
- Reveals the science behind it all (with citations for each scientific paper)
About the Author
Robert Kourik began his career in organic landscape maintenance in 1974. Over the next four decades, he honed his horticulture skills by working with clients throughout the U.S., and has since written 14 books on the creation of sustainable homes and gardens. His book Designing and Maintaining Your Edible Landscape - Naturally, originally written in 1986, has become a classic in its field, defining the genera of gardening now known as "edible landscaping," and focusing on organic, natural, sustainable, integrated systems. His extensive 35-year-old ornamental/herbal drought- and deer-resistant garden and orchard have never been watered.
Products can be returned for a refund within 30 days of receipt if unused and in original packaging. Returns are paid for by customer unless product is defective or damaged, in which case Real Goods assumes responsibility. Please use Fedex, UPS, or USPS with tracking, for returns.