Solar Living Sourcebook - 14th Edition
By John Schaeffer, 463 pages
Regularly updated since 1982, John Schaeffer's Real Goods Solar Living Sourcebook is the definitive guide to renewable energy, sustainable living, alternative transportation, natural and green building, homesteading, energy conservation, and off-the-grid living.
This completely revised 14th edition, written by experts with decades of hands-on experience, contains expanded information on permaculture, biodynamics, the Transition Movement, urban homesteading, and emergency preparedness - plus maps, wiring diagrams, formulas, charts, electrical code specs/regulations/requirements, solar sizing worksheets, and much more. Scientific American calls it "the latest nuts-and-bolts information on how to harvest renewable energy in a variety of ways depending on need."
This book contains everything you need to know to make sustainable and off-the-grid living a reality and embodies the Real Goods motto "Knowledge is our most important product." Whether you're a layperson or a professional; a novice or an aficionado; a prepper or an enviornmentalist - the Sourcebook puts the latest research and information at your fingertips. With over 600,000 copies in print worldwide, it is the most comprehensive resource available for anyone interested in lessening their environmental footprint and increasing energy independence.
Fully indexed, with thousands of pictures and diagrams, the Solar Living Sourcebook has been described by many as a "Desert Island Book" - a must-have if you're going to be stranded on a deserted island.
Prefer an electronic version? Get the Solar Living Sourcebook eBook instead!
Solar Living Sourcebook - 14th Edition Chapters
- Relocalization: A Strategic Response to Peak Oil & Climate Change
- Land and Shelter: Designing and Building Your Green Dream Home
- Sunshine to Electricity: Creating Renewable Energy with Solar, Wind and Hydroelectric Power
- From Panel to Plug: How to Get Your Renewable Energy Source Powering Your Appliances
- Emergency Preparedness and Solar Mobility: Be Empowered When the Grid Goes Down
- Energy Conservation: Super-efficient Lighting, Heating, and Cooling are the First Steps
- Water Development: Reckoning with Our Most Precious and Endangered Resource
- Water Heating: The Most Cost-Effective Solar Alternative
- Water and Air Purification: Clean Water and Air are Human Rights
- Composting Toilets & Grey Water Systems: Novel, Safe, and Clean Solutions to an Age-Old Human Issue
- Regenerative Homesteading and Farming: Growing Your Own Organically Using Permaculture Principles While Living the Good Life
- Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
- Sustainable Transportation: Toward a Future of Carbon-Free Mobility
- Natural Burial: The Ultimate Back-To-The-Land Movement
- The Real Goods Sustainable Living Library: Reading for a Renewable Future
Solar Living Sourcebook Testimonials
"...the best single source I've ever found on the technologies, philosophies, and the lifestyle changes we must embrace in order for our species to survive and thrive into the future."
WOODY HARRELSON, environmentalist, actor
"...the latest nuts-and-bolts information on how to harvest renewable energy in a variety of ways depending on need."
"...an owner's manual for regenerating our earth, skies and water ... a masterwork on re-inhabitation ... the best manual you could possibly want."
PAUL HAWKEN, Author of Drawdown and Blessed Unrest
"...I have always recommended the Solar Living Sourcebook as the #1 source, indeed the Bible, for all things solar and sustainable. Bravo to the 14th edition, it's the best one yet!"
ED BEGLEY Jr., Actor, environmental activist
"...If you're interested in understanding alternative energy sources and sustainable lifestyles, Real Goods offers the most comprehensive, enlightening & entertaining resource in the world ... an indispensable resource on the bookshelf of anyone seriously interested in helping save our habitat."
BRYAN WELCH, publisher, Mother Earth News, and author, Beautiful and Abundant
"...This masterful compendium pulls it all together and gives everyone what we need to get off the grid and democratize clean energy."
KENNY AUSUBEL, CEO and founder, Bioneers
"...This book is our blueprint for both the present and future, if our species is to survive into the 22nd century."
THOM HARTMANN, NY Times bestselling author and talk show host
"...Here in one book is everything you need... a treasure trove you'll find yourself returning to time and again."
RICHARD HEINBERG, Senior Fellow, Post Carbon Institute, and author, The End of Growth
"...John is a sustainability and solar industry pioneer... his visionary actions and ideas [are] good news for our environment, economy and national security."
NAT KREAMER, chairman, Solar Energy Industries Association, White House Champion of Change, and CEO, Clean Power Finance
"...Buy this book. It can change your life for the better. And the world, too."
DENIS HAYES, President, Bullitt Foundation.
This product is shipped from one of our warehouses in Northern California. Orders placed after 12 p.m. will typically ship the following business day. To see an estimate of our delivery times, click here.
Returns & Replacements
Products can be returned for a refund within 30 days of receipt if unused and in original packaging. Returns are paid for by customer unless product is defective or damaged, in which case Real Goods assumes responsibility. Please use Fedex, UPS, or USPS with tracking, for returns.
Returns of solar panels, inverters or other large ticket items will incur a re-stocking fee of up to 20%. Freight shipping is non-refundable.