Atlas ESS 5kWh LFP Energy Storage System
The Atlas ESS 5kWh is a floor-mounted, deep-cycle lithium iron phosphate (LFP) energy storage system (ESS) that is used to power loads for long periods (years) off-grid, but works just as well in grid-tied applications. As it is designed for long-term off-grid use, it is maintenance-free and intended to be repaired on-site.
The Atlas ESS features a revolutionary battery management system (BMS) that monitors the temperature and voltage of the cells the BMS cell board is attached to. Each cell board is connected to a relay controller that disconnects the battery module from the load if the cells are operated outside their specifications (determined by your charge controller's and inverter's settings). Currently the BMS in the Atlas ESS is the only one on the market with a safety certification (UL 508).
Assembling the Atlas ESS
The cabinet is shipped empty and can be moved by one person with a dolly. The batteries are shipped in their own protective boxes. All cables and parts to assemble the system are included. Assembly takes approximately 1 hour. After the system is assembled, it is connected to the charge controller or inverter (not included) just like any other deep-cycle battery. The charge controller and inverter settings need to be adjusted for lithium batteries. These settings are provided.
The National Electric Code (NEC) allows electricians to assemble an energy storage system if the BMS and all parts have safety certifications from a Nationally Recognized Test Lab (NRTL). Since every component in the Atlas ESS system meets this standard, you can hire an electrician to assemble the system if you choose.
Changing the Atlas ESS Voltage
After installation, it is possible to change the Atlas ESS 5kWh's voltage between 12V and 24V. This feature provides great flexibility in that if your inverter fails, you are not limited to replacing it with a new inverter of the same voltage. The process of re-configuring the Atlas' voltage takes about 1 hour.
Optional Atlas ESS Accessories
For systems with complex equipment, consider upgrading the standard Relay Controller to the PLC Controller, with 2 or more relay outputs used to control other equipment in your power system. An optional Data Logger monitors and records system data that can be viewed on the internet. Data Logger requires the PLC Controller.
Atlas 5kWh ESS Features
- 2x 2.5kWh lithium iron phosphate battery modules
- High power
- High current
- Long run time
- Advanced battery management system (BMS) with UL safety certification
- Compatible with major inverters and charge controllers
- Voltage can be changed between 12V and 24V in the field (may require additional parts)
- Capacity can be increased by adding more battery modules
- All components listed by Nationally Recognized Test Labs (NRTL)
- Complies with new 2017 NEC provisions for energy storage systems
- Warranty: 10 year / 10,000 cycles
- Fire-rated cabinet
- 36-month financing available
Atlas ESS 5kWh LFP Energy Storage System Specs
- 41" H x 24" W x 18" D
- Cabinet: 178 lbs
- Batteries: 102 lbs
- Nominal voltage: 12VDC or 24VDC
- Energy: 5kWh
- Capacity: 400Ah @12V, 200Ah @24V
- Max discharge current: 350A @12V, 200A @24V
- Max continuous charge current: 350A @12V, 200A @24V
- Cell type: lithium ferrous phosphate (LiFePO4)
- Usable depth of discharge: Set during installation (usually 80%)
- Cycle life: 10,000+ (@ 80% DoD)
- Enclosure: Fire-rated, for use indoors
- Manufacturer: Atlas ESS
This product is shipped directly from the manufacturer or distributor and will arrive separately from any other products ordered. Availability estimates are based on average lead times and can vary due to stock status and location.
Returns & Replacements
Products can be returned for a refund within 30 days of receipt if unused and in original packaging. Returns are paid for by customer unless product is defective or damaged, in which case Real Goods assumes responsibility. Please use Fedex, UPS, or USPS with tracking, for returns.
Returns of solar panels, inverters or other large ticket items will incur a re-stocking fee of up to 20%. Freight shipping is non-refundable.