Customers Also Bought
Cooking with Sunshine: The Complete Guide to Solar Cuisine with 150 Easy Sun-Cooked Recipes
The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs
Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
The Art of Fermentation: An In-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World
By Carol Deppe
Scientist/gardener Carol Deppe combines her passion for organic gardening with newly emerging scientific information from many fields — resilience science, climatology, climate change, ecology, anthropology, paleontology, sustainable agriculture, nutrition, health, and medicine. In the last half ofThe Resilient Gardener, Deppe extends and illustrates these principles with detailed information about growing and using five key crops: potatoes, corn, beans, squash, and eggs.
In this book you’ll learn how to:
- Garden in an era of unpredictable weather and climate change
- Grow, store, and use more of your own staple crops
- Garden efficiently and comfortably (even if you have a bad back)
- Grow, store, and cook different varieties of potatoes and save your own potato seed
- Grow the right varieties of corn to make your own gourmet-quality fast-cooking polenta, cornbread, parched corn, corn cakes, pancakes and even savory corn gravy
- Make whole-grain, corn-based breads and cakes using the author’s original gluten-free recipes involving no other grains, artificial binders, or dairy products
- Grow and use popbeans and other grain legumes
- Grow, store, and use summer, winter, and drying squash
- Keep a home laying flock of ducks or chickens; integrate them with your gardening, and grow most of their feed.
The Resilient Gardener is both a conceptual and a hands-on organic gardening book, and is suitable for vegetable gardeners at all levels of experience. Resilience here is broadly conceived and encompasses a full range of problems, from personal hard times such as injuries, family crises, financial problems, health problems, and special dietary needs (gluten intolerance, food allergies, carbohydrate sensitivity, and a need for weight control) to serious regional and global disasters and climate change. It is a supremely optimistic as well as realistic book about how resilient gardeners and their vegetable gardens can flourish even in challenging times and help their communities to survive and thrive through everything that comes their way — from tomorrow through the next thousand years. Organic gardening, vegetable gardening, self-sufficiency, subsistence gardening, gluten-free living.
This product is shipped from one of our warehouses in Northern California. Orders placed after 12 p.m. will typically ship the following business day. To see an estimate of our delivery times, click here.
Returns & Replacements
You may return most unused products to us for a refund or replacement within 30 days of receipt. Items must be in new re-sellable condition with all original packaging, paperwork and accessories. For your protection, please send returns via a traceable method. We are not responsible for lost or missing returns without tracking information. Return freight and shipping is non-refundable. Products that qualified for free shipping will be credited the product price minus shipping costs. Unless otherwise requested, back orders will be refund to assure a you receive your order within an acceptable time.